Around the web
Real People Archive - - They Write What They're Told, We Don't!

Archive for the ‘Real People’ Category

George Zimmerman charged with felony after allegedly pointing gun at girlfriend

By Tanya Blake

Follow us: @eotmonline on Twitter | EOTM.Media on Facebook

On Monday (11/18) George Zimmerman was charged with felony aggravated assault after allegedly pointing a shotgun at his girlfriend, according to the Seminole County, Florida, Sheriff’s Office.

( November 18, 2013 ) George Zimmerman was arrested by Seminole County deputies on Monday, Nov. 18, 2013.

Zimmerman, who was acquitted earlier this year of murdering teenager Trayvon Martin, was arrested after the incident at the home of Samantha Scheibe, according to the report. He also was charged with domestic violence battery and criminal mischief — in connection with the same incident.

RELATED NEWS: George Zimmerman Detained After Gun Threat

According to a police report on the incident, Scheibe said that after an argument Zimmerman broke a table with a shotgun then pointed it at her “for a minute.”

Scheibe called 911 at 12:30 E.T., Lemma said.

On a 911 call recording released by police, a woman can be heard telling authorities: “He’s inside my house breaking all my (things) because I asked him to leave.”

The woman then says to someone at the house, “I’m doing this again? You just broke my glass table. You just broke my sunglasses and you put your gun in my freaking face and told me to get the (expletive) out.”

PureVPN - Internet Privacy is our Priority

A man is heard telling her to calm down, but then she tells the dispatcher that the man just pushed her out of the house and locked the door.

RELATED NEWS: Trayvon Martin case: Relief, hope in Sanford, Fla., after Zimmerman charged

On a separate 911 call, a man calls to report that his girlfriend was “going crazy on me” and throwing his things out. The caller says the woman is outside with police.

When asked why he is calling, the man says, “I just want everyone to know the truth.”

He says he never pulled a firearm and that it is in a bag, locked. He claims she was the one who broke the table.

When deputies arrived at the house, Scheibe gave them a key. When they pushed open the door — which was blocked by several small pieces of furniture — they found Zimmerman, who was sitting and unarmed. He was passive and cooperative, according to the officer.

The sheriff’s office was seeking a search warrant to look for two guns deputies believed were inside the home, he said. According to the police report.

 Zimmerman is being held in jail without bail and will make his first appearance in front of a judge Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. ET.


Ryan Ferguson Released from Prison

Published by EOTM News Editor on November 13th, 2013 - in Breaking News, EOTM News, News and Politics, Real People

Ryan Ferguson - 48 hours

Ryan Ferguson Released from Prison (via Repost Video News)

COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Missouri man who was sent to jail for murder is free this morning, released from prison after his conviction was overturned. Ryan Ferguson had been behind bars since 2005.



What they really think about Black People

Published by EOTM News Editor on November 12th, 2013 - in EOTM Exclusives, News and Politics, Real People, TV
The “lazy black people” Daily Show interview that cost a North Carolina GOPer his party job (Video) (via The Moderate Voice)

Yes, we’re most assuredly in an era when “The Daily Show” an reveal more truths about politicians than the news — by just giving someone a chance to talk and, seemingly oblivious, reveal their true selves. In an interview that will be shown…



23-year-old LA man is suspect in airport shooting that kills TSA officer – Report

Los Angeles (CNN) — A man armed with what police say was an assault rifle and carrying materials expressing anti-government sentiment opened fire Friday morning at Los Angeles International Airport, killing one person before being chased down himself, authorities said.

Credit: AP

Eyewitnesses said the suspect asked people, “Hey, are you TSA?” — the acronym for the Transportation Security Administration — according to a federal law enforcement official. If they said “no,” he would move on.

One of those questioned travelers was Leon Saryan. He told CNN’s Anderson Cooper that the same man he’d just seen shoot a TSA officer “calmly” walked toward him and asked, “TSA?”

“I just shook my head,” Saryan said. “And he kept going.”

In the aftermath of the shooting, investigators found information on the suspect expressing not just anti-federal government sentiment but also anger at the TSA specifically, according to the federal law enforcement official.

By then, a TSA officer was dead — the first employee of that relatively new agency to be killed in the line of duty. The agency identified him as Gerardo Hernandez, who would have turned 40 next week. He was working as a travel document checker at the time of the shooting, according to TSA workers’ union and federal sources.

Two additional TSA officers were also shot, one in the leg, authorities said.

The suspected gunman himself was detained after being shot in the chest multiple times, according to an intelligence source briefed by Los Angeles police. As of Friday evening, he was receiving medical attention at a hospital, according to FBI Special Agent in Charge David Bowdich.

He was identified later by the FBI as Paul Anthony Ciancia, a 23-year-old from Los Angeles. He graduated in 2008 from Salesianum School, an all-boys Catholic school in Wilmington, Delaware, according to school President Brendan P. Kennealey.

The intelligence source said Ciancia’s family became concerned in recent days after he sent his brother and father “angry, rambling” texts venting about the government, living in Los Angeles and his unhappiness generally.

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center said that it received three male victims — one in critical condition and two in fair condition. One of the two in fair condition suffered gunshot wounds, while another had an unspecified injury, said Dr. Lynne McCullough, an emergency physician at the Los Angeles hospital. One of them was released by Friday afternoon; one of the others who remained at the hospital was Ciancia, according to the intelligence source.

Two patients, meanwhile, were transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, said David Klurad, a trauma surgeon there.

One was what Klurad described as a “middle-aged” person with minor injuries from being shot in the shoulder. The other had no signs of life when he arrived at the hospital, the surgeon added. It wasn’t known if this person was the slain TSA officer.

The episode caused what airport police Chief Patrick Gannon, who had said the shooter used an “assault rifle,” described as a “large amount of chaos.” People ran for their lives and took shelter wherever they could as authorities pursued the gunman.

Chuck Ocheret was among those in the busy airport when he heard two “loud pops.”

“Then I heard this mad rush of people, and there was a stampede of people coming from this direction,” Ocheret told CNN. “Nobody really knew what was going on.”

Still, by Friday afternoon, authorities believes the worst was over. Gannon noted it is believed there was only one shooter.

Suspect ‘pulled an assault rifle out … and began to open fire’

An otherwise normal day in the airport’s Terminal 3 turned upside down around 9:20 a.m. (12:20 p.m. ET), as the suspect approached a checkpoint.

There, he “pulled an assault rifle out of a bag and began to open fire,” Gannon said.

Passenger Saryan had just cleared the TSA checkpoint and was reaching for his shoes and belt when shots rang out, prompting “everybody (to) hit the ground and .. run.” A TSA officer grabbed Saryan’s shoes and started running alongside him, before the gunman grazed the officer with a bullet.

“I went and cowered in a corner,” Saryan said.

The suspect kept moving down Terminal 3, equipped with three magazines for his weapon, according to the intelligence source briefed by Los Angeles police, he began running down Terminal 3.

He had company. Gannon said two officers from his department responded “within seconds after the shooting started” and ran off in pursuit of the suspect.

Opinion: Arming TSA officers not the answer

Traveler Vernon Cardenas was sitting at one end of the terminal, when he heard noise and saw a mass of people running toward him. He and others bolted through a kicked-open exit door and ran onto the tarmac — believing then it was safer there — even with then still-arriving and departing jetliners — than in the terminal above.

The circular area where Cardenas had been is where the bloodshed finally ended with the gunman’s shooting by law enforcement, according to the intelligence source. They didn’t take any chances with the wounded suspect either, handcuffing him to a gurney as he was being carried out.

Actor Tim Daly said that when he was eventually led out of the the Virgin America first-class lounge, he saw where the incident came to a head around Gates 35 and 36. After being told not to step on any blood or glass, Daly spotted a high-powered rifle on the ground along with a pair of black shoes and several bags strewn across the floor.

Also there was more than 100 rounds of unspent ammunition, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said, enough to “have literally killed everyone in that terminal today.”

Los Angeles Police Chief Robert Beck credited the responding airport police officers with heroically saving lives with their efforts. It was a sentiment echoed by Mike Bonin, a city councilman whose district includes the airport and its surrounding neighborhoods.

“When shots rang out, members of the Los Angeles World Airport police department ran towards that gunfire, without regard to their own safety and well being,” Bonin said. “… No doubt, without their efforts, the casualty count today would be significantly higher.”

Hundreds of flights impacted

Even once the suspect was shot and detained, law enforcement officers roamed the airport with guns drawn looking for others who might have involved.

KCAL showed live video of three officers with rifles to their shoulders inspecting parked cars in an open-air parking lot. At one point, firefighters lay tarps on the street at the airport, apparently for triage.

The episode soon rendered one of the world’s busiest airports a ghost town. Large portions were evacuated as authorities ordered a “ground stop” for arriving planes that lasted four hours.

About 750 flights were affected by the ordeal, including 46 would-be arriving aircraft that were diverted to other nearby airports, said Gina Marie Lindsay, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports. Some that did touch down were held on the ground in Los Angeles, while others didn’t leave their originating airports.

LAX, as it’s known, was a mess.

The area around the airport was jammed with cars as police shut down access. Meanwhile, many who were in the terminals, waiting for flights to arrive or depart, were pushed out.

Even as late as 4 p.m. — some 6½ hours after the shooting occurred — masses were still huddled on sidewalks outside the airport, because they had no place else to go.

Soon after that, people started moving back in as the airport operations kicked back into gear. Terminal 3, though, remained closed — all flights that were supposed to go in and out of there were relocated elsewhere in the airport — and will be “for a while,” said Bowdich of the FBI.

“This has been a trying day for everyone, I know,” Lindsay said.

That’s especially true for members of the TSA, which lost one of its own Friday and had two others wounded.

The federal agency’s chief, John Pistole, is heading to Los Angeles on Saturday. Before he left, he sent a message to his employees thanking them for their good work and support for each other.

“Together, we will get through this,” Pistole wrote. “Our faith will guide us and our professionalism will ensure our ability to carry out our mission.”

Follow us: @eotmonline on Twitter | EOTM.Media on Facebook

Sahara desert deaths: 92 migrants perish

Published by EOTM News Editor on October 31st, 2013 - in Breaking News, EOTM News, Real People, World News

Follow us: @eotmonline on Twitter | EOTM.Media on Facebook

Horrific deaths of 92 migrants – including 48 children – who died of thirst in the Niger desert after their buses broke down on desperate journey to Algeria


(CNN) — Stranded in the unforgiving expanses of Niger’s Sahara desert after their vehicles broke down, scores of people, almost all of them women and children, slowly died of thirst.

The migrants had been trying to reach Algeria, Azaoua Mahaman of the Synergie nongovernmental organization said Thursday.

A landscape view shows the Sahara desert in southern Algeria, a country that some Niger migrants try to reach

Instead, they died of dehydration, unable to escape the sandy wastes of the Sahel.

A total of 92 bodies have been found, Niger security forces told CNN Thursday. Synergie earlier put the number found at 87.

Many of the bodies were severely decomposed and appeared to have been partially eaten by animals.

The travelers were hoping to find a better life for themselves in Algeria, trying to escape the extreme poverty and economic hardships in Niger, said Mahaman.

Their story is the latest tragedy to befall migrants trying to leave behind a woeful existence for opportunities elsewhere.

Others who have survived the arduous journey from sub-Saharan Africa to the continent’s northern shores have drowned as they tried to cross the Mediterranean in overcrowded boats, with Europe in their sights.

For many of Niger’s 16 million or so people, life is not easy.

The population is one of the fastest growing in the world, but the large, landlocked country is prone to political instability and natural disasters, according to the World Bank.

RELATED NEWS: World News: Markets adopt wait-and-see approach to Syria

Droughts, floods and locust infestation all contribute to the country’s chronic food insecurity — and the poverty rate is one of the highest in the world.

The World Bank puts the annual per-capita income at just $360, and the country lies second from bottom in the U.N.’s Human Development Index. Less than 30% of adults are literate, and life expectancy is only 57.5 years.

‘Extremely dry and difficult conditions’

Faced with these tough conditions, many decide to leave.

This has turned Niger’s desert north into a major transit area for migrants, according to the International Organization for Migration, and many human smugglers operate there.

Algeria and Libya are the final destinations for some travelers, while others seek to reach Europe, said Laura Lungarotti, migrant assistance regional specialist in the IOM’s west and central Africa office in Senegal. Most are from Niger, although others also come from central and western Africa.

Once they embark on their journeys, they face “extremely dry and difficult conditions,” she said. Those who get stranded in the desert face a challenge to survive.

Part of the problem is that many would-be migrants are stopped by Algerian or Libyan authorities and are expelled back over the border into Niger’s desert, Lungarotti said.

Some of those kicked out are transported directly to two transit centers run by the IOM — outposts in the desert where the migrants can receive food, water and first aid. Others manage to make their own way there.

Despite the dangers, the migrants’ numbers have been increasing since the beginning of this year, Lungarotti said.

Over the past 10 months, more than 15,000 from Niger and 1,300 from other countries have reached the two transit centers — one in Arlit, closer to Algeria, and the other in Dirkou, nearer to the Libyan border.

Some who’ve made their way back from Libya have told of being held in detention where they suffered harsh treatment, Lungarotti said.

Before Libya’s revolution overthrew the regime of strongman Moammar Gadhafi two years ago, many migrants from Niger worked in its construction and agricultural sectors. But the instability forced many out.

The recent conflict in northern Mali also sent about 60,000 refugees over the border into Niger, according to the European Community Humanitarian Office, adding to the pressure on its meager resources.

Read more via CNN

Sources: Teen followed Colleen Ritzer in bathroom and killed her with box cutter

Published by EOTM News Editor on October 24th, 2013 - in Breaking News, News and Politics, Real People, Trending
Sources: Teen followed Danvers teacher into bathroom, killed her with box cutter (via

Philip Daniel Chism, 14, is charged with the murder of a Danvers High School math teacher Colleen Ritzer, 24. He pleaded not guilty in Salem District Court on Wednesday. Ritzer’s body was found in the woods behind  A 14-year-old boy was arraigned in…



‘I was broken beyond repair’: Elizabeth Smart recalls kidnapping

Published by EOTM News Editor on October 5th, 2013 - in Breaking News, News and Politics, Real People, Trending
Courtesy of New York Daily


Elizabeth Smart visits wooded Utah site where she was held captive for 9 months, said she did ‘whatever it took’ to survive


Elizabeth Smart was 14 years old when she was abducted by knifepoint from her bedroom in Salt Lake City on June 5, 2002. She told NBC News’ Meredith Vieira that she obeyed orders from her captors – Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Barzee – and manipulated them into bringing her closer to home.

NBC NewsWire/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

Elizabeth Smart returned to the woods where she was chained to a pair of trees and raped daily after she was abducted from her Utah home when she was just 14 years old.


“Things that I’d always told myself I’d never do, I would do them if it meant I would survive,” Smart said during the interview. “If it meant that one day I would be able to go back home and be with my family again, I would do it.”

Trekking through the remote area that psycho preacher Brian David Mitchell dragged her through after snatching her by knifepoint from her bedroom in Salt Lake City, Smart recalled when she first arrived at the makeshift campsite on June 5, 2002.

She said that Mitchell brought her to the wooded site, where they met his wife, Wanda Barzee, and began a strange wedding-like ceremony.

“I was begging and crying and just so scared,” Smart said during the interview. “I remember thinking, ‘I know what comes after a wedding. And that cannot happen to me. That cannot happen.’”

Smart remembered one day during her months of abuse hearing her uncle’s voice calling her name. But Mitchell grabbed the teen and threatened her before she could respond.

“I will kill you if you make a noise,” he told her. “I will kill whoever comes up here to find you. If they ever get to this camp, I will kill them”

Soon after her near rescue, she said she went into survival mode.

“There was a point that I stopped crying,” she said. “It’s not just because I didn’t feel pain any more, not because I didn’t feel sorrow. It was just to keep going. I mean, it just was to survive, to live.”

She said she made the decision to do “whatever it took” to try and reunite with her family.

She earned enough trust with the couple that Mitchell began to allow the teen to join them during public outings. But Smart was still so scared that during an encounter with a cop at a library, she couldn’t ask for help.

“I was under the threat of my life,” she said. “I was under the threat of my family’s life. And those two threats right there are stronger than chains for me.”

At times, only her Mormon faith kept her going, she said. The trio moved to southern California and she sometimes thought that she would be held captive until Mitchell and Barzee died.

But during a conversation about moving to the East Coast, Smart knew she had to do something to change the plan.

“Nobody’s going to find me,” she recalled thinking. “I have to find a way to get back to Utah. That is my only chance at being found.”

She managed to get the religious fanatic to think that God wanted them back to the Beehive State, where Mitchell was soon recognized from a police sketch provided by Smart’s sister, Mary Katherine.

Mitchell was later convicted of sexual assault and kidnapping and handed two life sentences, which he’s serving at an Arizona prison. Barzee was sentenced to 15 years behind bars.

Smart, who is now married, has written a memoir, “My Story,” which is scheduled for release next week.

She now busies herself with the Elizabeth Smart Foundation, which she created to help prevent crimes against children and help victims of sexual abuse.

She said her mother’s advice has helped her best to move on.She said her mother once told her: “He has stolen nine months of your life that you will never get back. But the best punishment you could ever give him is to be happy.”

Navy Yard Shooting Update: Gunman Identified as Aaron Alexis

Images released by the FBI show photos of Aaron Alexis, who police believe was a gunman at the Washington Navy Yard shooting. Photograph: AP

Navy Yard Shooting Update: Gunman Identified as Aaron Alexis (via New York Times Video)

At a news conference Monday afternoon, officials discussed the latest developments in a deadly shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. Read the related article here: NYT on Google Plus: Watch more videos at:…



Man who ‘killed wife and posted dead body on Facebook’ wrote self-help books

Published by EOTM News Editor on August 9th, 2013 - in Breaking News, News and Politics, Real People

Follow us: @EOTMOnline on Twitter | EOTM.Media on Facebook

Derek Medina, 31,  accused of shooting dead his wife and posting a picture of her corpse on Facebook once wrote a series of self-help books on marriage.

Derek Medina and wife Jennifer Alfonso - Photo credit: Facebook

Medina is currently being questioned by police over the death of his wife Jennifer Alfonso, 26, who was gunned down at their Florida home yesterday.

Medina appeared to confess to the murder by posting a gruesome image of a woman’s blood-soaked body slumped on the floor with the caption “RIP Jennifer Alfonso”.

Shortly before the photograph was uploaded, Medina updated his Facebook status saying: “I’m going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife.

“Love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news.

“My wife was punching me and I am not going to stand anymore with the abuse so I did what I did I hope u understand me.” (sic)

Medina’s 10-year-old daughter was also found unharmed at the property and was seen being led away by officers wrapped in a red blanket.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip via