Around the web
Crime and Punishment Archive - - They Write What They're Told, We Don't!

Archive for the ‘Crime and Punishment’ Category

Shocking Video Shows Suge Knight Hit-and-Run Incident

Follow us @eotmonline on Twitter |EOTM.Media on Facebook

New disturbing video has surfaced that may impact the murder case against media mogul Suge Knight.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Newly released video graphically depicts former rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight running over two men with his pickup truck but leaves questions about an attack that he says forced him to speed away from the deadly crash.

Surveillance footage from a Compton fast food restaurant shows one of the men getting knocked down as the pickup reverses. The truck then speeds forward, running over the fallen man and a second man.

Attorney Mathew Fletcher, left, talks with his client Marion "Suge" Knight upon his arrival in court for a hearing about evidence in his murder case on Monday, March 9, 2015, in Los Angeles, Calif. Knight is accused of striking two men with his pickup truck, killing one, during an altercation in a Compton parking lot in January.(AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian, Pool)

An attorney for the Death Row Records co-founder says the video posted by celebrity news website TMZ shows that the men attacked his client before the January encounter and that it will help his defense against murder and attempted murder charges.

“They attacked ‘Suge’ without question,” lawyer Matthew Fletcher told reporters after a Monday court hearing.

The video is in possession of sheriff’s detectives and is being used in the investigation, Los Angeles sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said. The agency did not release the footage.

Gary Dordick, an attorney for the family of the slain man, Terry Carter, said the video shows “a senseless act of violence.” He said Carter, 55, was not involved in attacking Knight through the window of his truck and that the music figure should have driven off instead of using his truck as a weapon.

The video shows a red pickup pulling into the restaurant parking lot and a man approaching the driver’s side window. There is commotion in the cabin of Knight’s truck, but no clear footage of the purported attack.

“I told ‘Suge’: ‘This helps you beyond any stretch of the imagination,’” Fletcher said, adding that the law doesn’t require someone to flee an attack.

The confrontation occurred shortly after Knight was told to leave a location where a promotional video was being shot for “Straight Outta Compton,” a biopic about the rap group N.W.A. Authorities said the argument resumed at the parking lot.

Fletcher downplayed the argument at the video shoot, saying Knight complied when he was asked to leave the set.

SEE ALSO: ‘Saved By The Bell’ Star that Played ‘Screech’ arrested in Stabbing, Report

Authorities accuse Knight of intentionally running over the men, killing Carter and seriously injuring Cle “Bone” Sloan. He has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges and could face up to life in prison if convicted of killing Carter on Jan. 29.

“The video makes clear that Mr. Carter’s tragic death was caused by unnecessary acts of violence initiated by Cle Sloan attacking Mr. Knight and Mr. Knight choosing to retaliate using his motor vehicle as a deadly weapon rather than simply driving off to a place of safety,” Dordick wrote in an email.

Carter was a friend of Knight, and authorities have said they do not believe he was involved in the attack. Sloan is an actor and film consultant.
Try Rhapsody for 14 Days Free! Cancel Anytime.

Knight was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, and his label once listed Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.

Knight, 49, did not speak at Monday’s brief hearing, which came a week after he was taken to a hospital from a previous court appearance, where he told a judge he was going blind and had fired his legal team.

Knight is scheduled to return to court March 20.

News Source: AP

‘RHONJ’ Star Teresa Giudice Checks Into Prison – Reality TV Stars

By Tanya Blake

Follow us @eotmonline on Twitter |EOTM.Media on Facebook

Teresa Giudice’s last words before prison: “Tell Joe and the girls I’m good”

Joe Giudice (2nd from L) and wife Teresa Giudice arrive for sentencing at federal court in Newark on Oct. 2, 2014 in Newark. (credit: Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

In the final moments before entering federal prison, faced with the prospect of serving 15 months, Real Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice handled the situation as best she could.

Her last words to her attorney, James J. Leonard Jr., when he delivered the 42-year-old mother of four to the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut, at 3 a.m. Monday, were, “I’ll be fine,” Leonard tells PEOPLE.

“She said, ‘Tell Joe and the girls I’m good,’ ” he says.

Shortly after midnight, Leonard picked up Giudice at her $3.9 million mansion in Montville Township, New Jersey.

“She was upstairs when I got to the house,” he tells PEOPLE. “I’m assuming she was with her children. I tend not to ask people about things that are outside of my area.”

PHOTOS – Reality TV Stars

Teresa’s husband, Joe Giudice, 44, “was somber,” Leonard says. “The enormity of this entire situation hit him.”

Teresa Giudice - Image credit: Getty

After saying goodbye to Joe and her four daughters – Gia, 13, Gabriela, 10, Milania, 8, and Audriana, 5, – the reality star climbed into the back seat of Leonard’s black SUV and headed to the minimum security prison for women to serve her time after her March conviction for fraud.

Leonard says that during the 90-minute drive he tried to keep the conversation from getting heavy.

“If I have to drive with someone for one-and-a-half to two hours who is on their way to prison, I’m not trying to get them emotional,” he says. “I try to keep it light with jokes and talk about things that are light. So it was light from the time I saw her until the time I left her. She was great. She was very strong. She said, ‘I know I am going to get through this.’ She was very, very upbeat. She was like, ‘Hey. Let’s go. Let’s get this done.’ “

Avoiding the Media Circus

Giudice was supposed to appear at the prison by 10 a.m. on Monday. But, says Leonard, on New Year’s Eve, Giudice asked him if she could turn herself in before that. Officials agreed to let her surrender at 3 a.m. and let her use an alternate route in order to avoid the likely media attention outside the prison main entrance, he says.

“The reason she wanted to go early was because she didn’t want to have her children wake up on Monday morning and see a big [media] circus outside of the house,” he says.

Because they had time to spare before her arrival, she stopped off at a local diner just before 2 a.m. “She had a breakfast sandwich and some coffee,” Leonard says. “She was joking that she shouldn’t be eating at this hour. I said, ‘You could make an exception.’ So she ate.”

When she arrived at the facility, Giudice spent between 10 and 15 minutes in the pre-processing area, where officials introduced themselves to her.

“They talked about starting her commissary account. They told her she would be able to make her first phone call within 24 hours once they had her account set up. They said they were going to make it possible for her to meet with her immediate family this weekend. So she was very happy with that. There weren’t going to be any delays with that stuff,” says Leonard.

“Everybody was extremely respectful and courteous. It was very easy to ease her way into this because everything was positive. There was a lot of positive energy there.”

Leonard presented her with a set of rosary beads and a necklace with two medals – one for St. Christopher and one for St. Teresa.

“They let her keep all of that,” he says. “She was very happy with that, and she told me she would keep them with her all the time.”

‘Stoic and Strong’

When it was time to say goodbye, he says he hugged her and told her, “You’re going to be fine.”

“She said, ‘Yeah. I’ll be fine,’ ” he says. “She was very stoic and very strong. I left them there. They didn’t handcuff her. She was just standing there.”

Leonard had no sooner left the building when he returned to use the restroom.

“As I was walking back, they were walking her out of the first building to another building,” he says. “She saw me and said, ‘What are you doing?’ I said, ‘I’m breaking you out of here.’ She laughed and said, ‘I wish.’ “

He continued: “The last thing she said to me was, ‘I’ll be fine. Tell Joe and the girls I’m good.’ ”

He isn’t sure if the children will come visit her this weekend. “But they will 100 percent come see her,” he says. “I think she wants to see them whenever she can.

“Her kids aren’t just the No. 1 [priority] in her life. They are the only one,” he says. “The entire time I have been involved with her, the only thing she has talked about in connection with this prison sentence is how it is going to affect them – not her.”

Giudice reportedly spent her final day of freedom attending Mass at a New Jersey church with her husband and four daughters. Her husband drove the girls to school early Monday morning.

He also pleaded guilty last year to multiple counts of bankruptcy fraud and conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. When his wife is finished serving her sentence, he will serve 41 months in prison. He also may face deportation after his release because he is not a U.S. citizen.

RELATED:‘Real Housewives’ roundup: Melissa Gorga dishes on season six, Teresa Giudice’s house woes

Video Of The Week: Teresa Giudice Reports to Prison

Read more via our media partner:


Hugh Hefner on Bill Cosby Rape Allegations: “I would never tolerate this. It’s truly saddening”

By Tanya Blake

Follow us @eotmonline on Twitter |EOTM.Media on Facebook

Very few of comedian Bill Cosby’s colleagues and friends have stepped forward in the wake of rape allegations against him. Now, one of his oldest and closest friends has something to say.

Image credit: Getty/EOTM Media

On Saturday, Hugh Hefner released a statement about the allegations against Cosby and his personal connection. The Playboy mansion, Hefner’s famous residence, was directly mentioned by one woman who came forward with allegations against Cosby as the scene where they were assaulted. On Monday, Janet Huth filed a lawsuit alleging she was raped at the Playboy Mansion by Cosby when she was only 15 years old. Then, former Playboy bunny P.J. Masten toldreporters she was given a drugged drink and raped by Cosby at the Playboy Club in Chicago in 1979. Masten said she believes there are other former Bunnies who are too ashamed to come forward with their own stories.

“Bill Cosby has been a good friend for many years and the mere thought of these allegations is truly saddening. I would never tolerate this kind of behavior, regardless of who was involved.”

On Friday, the LAPD officially opened an investigation into allegations made in a lawsuit filed by Huth. She met with police last week for 90 minutes, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Cosby filed a counter-suit against Huth, claiming she tried to extort him.

RELATED: Reverse Speech, Backmasking & What Bill Cosby REALLY Said In His Infamous “AP” Interview

Don Lemon Asks Cosby Rape Accuser Why She Didn’t Just Gnaw Her Way Out of Danger

By Tanya Blake

Follow us @eotmonline on Twitter |EOTM.Media on Facebook


Screen Shot

Don Lemon, whose reputation for obtuseness generated the only light moment to come out of the Ferguson protests, has struck again. Tuesday night, in an interview with Joan Tarshis, the fifth named woman to accuse Bill Cosby of drugging and raping her, Lemon decided to Monday-morning quarterback her self-defense when Cosby allegedly forced himself on her.

He found her performance inadequate. Media Matters transcribed the exchange:

Lemon: Can I ask you this, because—and please, I don’t mean to be crude, OK?

Tarshis: Yeah.

Lemon: Because I know some of you—and you said this last night, that he—you lied to him and said, “I have an infection, and if you rape me, or if you do—if you have intercourse with me, then you will probably get it and give it to your wife.”

Tarshis: Right.

Lemon: And you said he made you perform oral sex.

Tarshis: Right.

Lemon: You—you know, there are ways not to perform oral sex if you didn’t want to do it.

Tarshis: Oh. Um, I was kind of stoned at the time, and quite honestly, that didn’t even enter my mind. Now I wish it would have.

Lemon: Right. Meaning the using of the teeth, right?

Tarshis: Yes, that’s what I’m thinking you’re …

Lemon: As a weapon.

Tarshis: Yeah, I didn’t even think of it.

You really have to watch the video to get the full idea of how awful the entire exchange was. I can’t believe this needs to be said, but it’s a lot easier to tell someone to bite a penis from the comfort of a CNN studio than it is to actually bite a penis that is currently in your mouth. It’s not just that it would be incredibly hard for most people to do something so violent as to bite someone on the genitals. Or that it would be even harder if that person had been drugged. It’s also that the victim of oral rape would have to consider what happens after you bite someone’s penis. What are the odds that the man who is forcing you to have oral sex with him is going to react calmly and gently to someone biting his penis?

It’s worth reading Tarshis’s description of the alleged rape in an interview withPhiladelphia to get a full idea of the situation she’s describing:

Yes. He was holding me down. He’s much bigger than I am. He’s very big. I couldn’t resist. He was forceful. He definitely used force. There was nothing I could do except wait for it to be over. I was in shock.

Sure, you may size up 77-year-old Cosby now and think, “I could take him.” But in 1969, he was a 32-year-old man who was more than 6 feet tall. Under the circumstances, it’s entirely understandable how someone would just submit quietly in the hope of getting it over with quickly and getting the hell out of there.

Twitter, naturally, responded to this exchange by creating a hashtag:#DonLemonRapePreventionTips.

This is hardly the first time that Lemon has victim-blamed. When Bill O’Reilly tried to hijack the story of the Trayvon Martin murder to lecture young black people on how to dress and what kind of music to listen to, Lemon actually defended O’Reilly. “He’s got a point. In fact, he’s got more than a point. … In my estimation, he doesn’t go far enough,” Lemon said, and then whipped out the pull-up-your-pants-son card.

Because time is a flat circle, Rahiel Tesfamariam, writing for the Washington Post at the time, compared Lemon’s condescending comments with those that are regularly given by none other than Bill Cosby, calling these “bootstrap lectures,” which she describes as “brutally-dished-out Band-Aid fixes to systemic ills.” As my colleague Hanna Rosin wrote Tuesday, more than a dozen women have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual assault—and that was before Janice Dickinson spoke up. Even if Tarshis had followed Lemon’s advice, it sure doesn’t sound like that would have stopped him.

News Source:

NO INDICTMENT: Decision From Ferguson Grand Jury on Officer Darren Wilson…

By Carla B.

UPDATED @6:22pm PST -Announcement of Ferguson Grand Jury Decision – Verdict: NO INDICTMENT

A prosecutor is set to unveil a grand jury’s decision on whether to indict Darren Wilson, the white police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown on a street in Ferguson, Missouri, in August.

The announcement is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET.

The grand jury, which considered evidence for three months, had the option of returning a charge as severe as first-degree murder against Wilson, 28. They also had the option of a lesser charge, or no charge at all.

SEE ALSO: Black Panthers Olajuwon Ali, Brandon Muhammad, Indicted For Allegedly Making “Straw Man” Purchases of 2 hand guns

Ferguson and neighboring communities were on edge ahead of the announcement. Businesses boarded up windows, and schools closed early for the following day. Police beefed up patrols, and Gov. Jay Nixon activated the National Guard.

Follow @EOTMPR For Updates

Grand jury reaches decision in case of Ferguson officer

ST. LOUIS — A grand jury has reached a decision on whether to indict Darren Wilson, the white Ferguson, Mo., police officer whose fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager sparked days of turbulent protests, sources close to the process said.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon (D) and the county prosecutor’s office are expected to hold news conferences later Monday, and prosecutors have notified the family of Michael Brown — the teen who Wilson killed — that the grand jury’s decision will be announced Monday night, family attorney Benjamin Crump said.

Crump and other sources gave no indication of whether Wilson, 28, will face state charges in the August shooting death of Brown, 18, which triggered a frank conversation about race and police interaction with African Americans.

The grand jury’s decision is the latest turn in a case marked in the national consciousness by the stunning images of clashes between protesters and police wearing riot gear and deploying tear gas in the days after Brown’s death. Details of the grand jury’s deliberations have leaked out in recent weeks, angering the Brown family and protesters who saw it as a signal that no charges would be filed.

Although a parallel federal civil rights investigation of the shooting is continuing, federal investigators have all but concluded that they do not have a case against Wilson, law enforcement officials have said. Federal investigators are also conducting a broader probe of the Ferguson Police Department.

If Wilson is not charged, government officials are bracing for protests in the St. Louis area and nationwide. They have discussed emergency plans in the event of a violent reaction, while protest and community leaders have mapped out their response in hopes of avoiding the unrest that exploded after Brown was killed.

In an interview with ABC News that aired Sunday, President Obama called for calm.

“Well, I think, first and foremost, keep protests peaceful,” he said. “You know, this is a country that allows everybody to express their views, allows them to peacefully assemble to protest actions that they think are unjust. But using any event as an excuse for violence is contrary to rule of law and contrary to who we are.”

Wilson has been on paid leave since the shooting, and Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said Thursday that the officer was unlikely to return to work regardless of the grand jury’s decision. That reversed an earlier declaration that the officer would be welcomed back if not indicted.

Since Brown’s death, Wilson has not been seen in public, and few details about his life have emerged. His representatives had no immediate comment on the news of the grand jury’s decision. The officer reportedly testified before the grand jury and spoke with federal and local investigators.

Wilson shot Brown during a confrontation on Canfield Drive in Ferguson, blocks from the apartment of the teenager’s grandmother. The panel of grand jurors convened in mid-August, days after the shooting, and spent weeks considering the case.

RELATED: Becca Campbell Accidentally Killed Herself With Guns She Bought For #Ferguson Unrest

Impatience and pressure for a decision have been building among residents and business owners, as well as police officers, who have been working 12-hour shifts with all leave time canceled since Saturday, said Jeff Roorda, business manager for the City of St. Louis Police Officer’s Association. That schedule will continue through the aftermath of the grand jury decision.

“We have staffed up for civil disobedience, and now the guys are just waiting for an announcement,” Roorda said. “I imagine it’s just as tough on the Brown family and their supporters. The waiting is not easy on anybody.”

The St. Louis Police Department is projecting it will spend three times the amount of money budgeted for overtime this fiscal year ending in July, according to Roorda. Since the shooting, the city has paid out $1 million in overtime pay, officials said.

“We just can’t get through this until we get to it,” Roorda said. “There’s a certain psychological toll that battle-readiness takes on a person.”

At some businesses on West Florissant Avenue in Ferguson, sales have been down as much as 40 percent since the killing of Brown, because people have been nervous about shopping in the neighborhood, said Sonny Dayan, owner of a cellphone store called STL Cordless.

“We’re waiting for the verdict to come out, whatever it will be — we just want to move on,” Dayan said Saturday.

The grand jury’s decision comes amid growing tensions in recent days between state and federal authorities, with Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. privately expressing his displeasure over the way Missouri handled the run-up to the grand jury’s decision.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon (D) declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard, which prompted a top Holder aide to call the governor’s office and indicate that the move may have escalated tensions, officials said.

The panel of grand jurors convened in mid-August, days after the shooting, and spent weeks considering the case. Discussions could have stretched on even longer; the group had been granted an extension through early January.

The closed-door grand jury process, much like the initial investigation, has been controversial throughout. In early October, for example, allegations of misconduct arose after a Twitter user wrote that a friend sat on the panel and didn’t think there was enough evidence to arrest the officer. (The woman later said she’d been hacked.)

In recent weeks, the most vocal protesters and local organizers had insisted that they never believed Wilson would face charges.

“It’s not if the officer isn’t indicted,” protest organizer Dhoruba Shakur said during an interview in early October. “It’s when. There will be no indictment, we know that.”

The Justice Department civil rights investigation was announced days after the shooting, with Holder traveling to Ferguson, where National Guard troops had been deployed amid an increasingly chaotic scene. In early September, Holder also announced that the department would review the Ferguson police department, investigating claims that officers might have engaged in a pattern of racial profiling or using excessive force.

“Anecdotal accounts underscore the history of mistrust of law enforcement in Ferguson,” Holder said. “As a result of this history, and following an extensive review of documented allegations and other available data, we have determined that there is cause for the Justice Department to open an investigation.”

Following the fatal shooting, protesters responded by gathering in the streets of Ferguson, calling for justice in the Brown case and broad reform on a municipal level. Hundreds spent their August nights following grainy livestream feeds from West Florissant Avenue, as activists and residents were hit with tear gas, and police in riot gear flooded the streets. Many who were arrested later claimed they had done nothing to prompt police action, and questioned law enforcement’s aggressive response to the unrest.

Authorities defended their actions, saying they were trying to keep order while respecting the public’s legitimate right to protest.

Clashes continued throughout October, occasionally spilling out of the St. Louis suburb where Brown was killed. St. Louis Cardinals fans confronted protesters outside of Busch Stadium during an ugly incident before a National League Division Series matchup, and demonstrators unfurled banners during a Rams game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Early on, there were calls for Robert McCulloch, the St. Louis County prosecutor, to step down from the case. Activists, troubled by McCulloch’s personal and professional ties to law enforcement, demanded a special prosecutor. But Nixon wouldn’t ask McCulloch

to recuse himself, and McCulloch declined to step aside.

“As I have stated repeatedly,” McCulloch said in a statement. “I have no intention of walking away from the responsibilities and duties entrusted to me by the people of this community.”

Ferguson officials announced in September that they would make changes to a number of municipal fines and fees, which many said unfairly targeted those living in poverty. The city got rid of an administrative charge for towing vehicles, said it would start a citizen review board, and decided to tweak its court procedures, which previously penalized residents who missed court dates.

Still, tensions remained. Jackson, the police chief, didn’t apologize to the Brown family until nearly seven weeks after the shooting, in a taped statement. Jackson later tried to join in protests outside his own department, an ill-fated effort that only led to more clashes.

Brown’s shooting triggered a national debate about race, in part because it followed a string of incidents in which black men were killed under controversial circumstances. In July, Eric Garner was killed in New York when an officer put the 43-year-old man in a chokehold. There were similar outcries after the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was killed by George Zimmerman in Florida.

Jordan Davis, 17, died during a 2012 argument about music in Florida; he was shot in a gas station parking lot by Michael Dunn, a white man. The 2009 death of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old who was killed in a California rail station, inspired a film.

News Source: Washington Post

Charles Manson’s notoriety helps puts Corcoran on the map

CORCORAN — There’s no escaping Charles Manson in Corcoran, a city in Kings County once associated with cotton instead of a mass murderer.

Charles Manson and Afton Elaine Burton - Photo credit:

The reality of that was driven home for Nancy Molina, a school aide who lives there, during an Amtrak trip from Corcoran to Hanford and back.

When announcing the next station, “the conductor said ‘Corcoran, the home of Charles Manson,’ ” she said. “Really? That’s what we’re remembered for?”

Corcoran was catapulted into the news again this week when the Associated Press reported that Manson, 80, might get married to a 26-year-old woman.

The story made headlines worldwide.

The AP reported that Manson had gotten a license to marry Afton Elaine Burton, although no wedding date had been set. The couple has 90 days to tie the knot.

She visits him at Corcoran State Prison, a maximum security prison, and lives at Corcoran Gardens, a low-income apartment complex on the south edge of town that is relatively close to the penitentiary.

Reached by telephone Tuesday, Burton politely said she wasn’t giving media interviews “right now” and referred a Bee reporter to her agent. Agent James McGrath said “there was no interest” in doing interviews with reporters at present.

Manson has been housed at Corcoran State Prison since 1989, so it’s probably no surprise that his name has become synonymous with the city.

Kings County Supervisor Richard Valle, who is from Corcoran and still lives there, is in Orange County this week attending a California State Association of Counties meeting.

The news about the potential Manson marriage broke just as he arrived, he said.

“The people who are aware of where I’m from, that’s the topic of conversation,” Valle said.

Corcoran officially has a population of about 22,500, and that includes Manson and another 10,500 inmates as of the beginning of this year.

Before the arrival of twin prisons and infamous inmates such as Manson and Sirhan Sirhan, Corcoran was best known as the place where farming giant J.G. Boswell, a major local employer, grew cotton and other crops.

But the prison industry brought another dimension to the economy.

Besides the maximum security Corcoran State Prison, there also is the Substance Abuse Treatment Facility. Both are outside the main part of town. Combined, the two facilities have 4,000 employees and a budget of nearly $400 million.

Corcoran Council Member Jerry Robertson said the negativity of having Manson’s name associated with the city “pales in comparison” to the positive economic benefit the prisons bring to the region.

“It’s big,” Robertson said. “The prison puts millions of dollars into the economy every month.”

The woman that Manson might marry apparently has lived in Corcoran for several years but keeps a low profile.

Frank Chavez, a retired J.G. Boswell Co. employee and longtime Corcoran resident, lives in a home neighboring the apartment complex. He said he did not know that anyone associated with Manson lived in the neighborhood.

“It doesn’t bother me as long as they keep him in there,” he said.

He added that he opposes Manson and Burton having children. As a life prisoner with no parole date, Manson is not eligible for so-called “family visits,” the prison system said.

But inmates are allowed to marry under a provision of state law sometimes referred to as “the inmate Bill of Rights,” said Terry Thornton, deputy press secretary for the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

That’s why each prison has a “marriage coordinator” who serves as a liaison between the inmate and the county clerk’s office, she said. However, the marriage coordinator does not function as a “wedding planner,” she said.

Corcoran resident Leo Weiskircher, owner of Weis Acres Used Books, said he sells books via and Manson’s name sometimes comes in handy.

“In some way, his notoriety is a form of publicity,” he said. “That’s how we identify where we are to our customers back east.”

News Source:


FBI warns law enforcement about violence after Ferguson ruling

By Tanya Blake

Follow us:@eotmonline on Twitter |EOTM.Media on Facebook


Image credit: @mollycrabapple/Twitter

Authorities in the central U.S. state of Missouri are not the only ones worried about potential violence as the city of Ferguson awaits a grand jury decision in the fatal police shooting of teenager Michael Brown.

Supporters of the late Michael Brown confront Pattie Canter, right, who backs police officer Darren Wilson, in a street demonstration in Clayton, Missouri, Nov. 17, 2014.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said the announcement in the racially charged case “will likely be exploited by some individuals to justify threats and attacks against law enforcement and critical infrastructure.” The agency issued the warning a few days ago in a bulletin obtained by news outlets.

A grand jury decision on whether to charge police officer Darren Wilson is expected this month. The August 9 shooting has already ignited racial tensions in the St. Louis suburb and spurred violence, as Brown was black and Wilson is white.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency Monday ahead of the decision. The order authorizes the National Guard to be deployed. Officials said the troops will serve in a backup role to assist police.

Demonstrators prepare

Demonstrators gathered Monday in Clayton, Missouri, in anticipation of the grand jury’s report. The grand jury has been hearing evidence there.

The FBI warned those looking to exploit public demonstrations could be armed. But it underscored its support for lawful protests, stressing “the importance of remaining aware of the protections afforded to all U.S. persons exercising their First Amendment rights.”

The grand jury’s decision on whether to indict Wilson has the potential to inspire public outbursts no matter which way it rules. But officials are particularly concerned that no indictment could trigger violence.

RELATED: Trayvon Martin’s mother pens open letter to Michael Brown’s family

Brown was unarmed when Wilson shot him. The officer reportedly stopped the teen and a friend as they were walking in the middle of a street.

Witnesses said Brown had his arms raised in surrender and was shot multiple times even though he had run from Wilson.

But a review of the 18-year-old’s official autopsy report found Brown may have been reaching for the officer’s weapon as police officials have reported. It indicates Brown’s wounds were consistent with Wilson’s reported claim that he and Brown struggled inside his police car.

SEE ALSO: Correcting The System of Unequal Justice – Black Talk Media

News Source: VOA News

Reports: Suge Knight shot at pre-VMAs party, Rapper in Intensive Care

Follow us: @eotmonline on Twitter | EOTM.Media on Facebook

UPDATED 5:45 AM PT– Suge is out of surgery … according to family sources. We’re told Suge was shot 6 times. He’s currently in ICU, but is expected to recover.

(USA Today) Rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was shot early Sunday morning at a pre-MTV Video Music Awards party on Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, TMZ and other news outlets are reporting.

SUGE KNIGHT inside his Track Recording studio, November 30, 2002. (LOS ANGELES TIMES PHOTO BY KEN HIVELY)

He remains in intensive care after undergoing surgery at Cedars-Sinai Hospital, TMZ says.

SEE ALSO:Tupac’s Final Words Revealed 18 Years After His Death…

Shots struck Death Row Records co-founder Knight, 49, at a nightclub party hosted by Chris Brown at 1 Oak and attended by Justin Bieber, The Game, of the Black Eyed Peas and model Tyson Beckford, who tweeted out TMZ’s report about the shooting. Video posted at TMZ shows Knight getting into a police car after the shooting and the site says he was one of three victims.

“It’s disappointing that we as a society can’t have fun or enjoy ourselves without any altercations sometimes,” Brown tweeted after the shooting.

In 1996, Knight was in the car with Tupac Shakur when the rapper was fatally shot in Las Vegas.

e-Newspaper USA Today - Don't miss a single story with the USA Today e-Newspaper. Order Now! Smarter. Faster. More Colorful!

When contacted by USA TODAY, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said no report has been released yet and the investigation is ongoing, Deputy Jeff Gordon says.

A MTV representative also told USA TODAY they are not releasing a statement, however, according to TMZ they wanted to make it clear … it wasn’t their party … it’s was Chris Brown’s.

Courtesy of our news affiliate USA Today