Knight, the 49-year-old co-founder of Death Row Records, has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges.
Barnes filed a motion Thursday accusing Knight of being part of a scheme that has extorted more than $10 million from up-and-coming and established rappers in recent years.
Fletcher countered that prosecutors should file charges involving those extortion claims if they have enough evidence.
Fletcher also said phone records and other evidence in the murder case would show that Knight was lured to the location where the men were hit by the truck. Knight was attacked when he arrived and hit the two men while trying to flee the scene, the lawyer said.
Fletcher said Cle “Bone” Sloan acknowledged to sheriff’s investigators that he attacked Knight. The attorney argued his client wasn’t required to remain at the scene and endure the attack, and that Sloan should be charged.
“If his name wasn’t ‘Suge’ Knight, they wouldn’t have filed this case,” Fletcher said.
Knight was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, his label once listing Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.
Wow, seems like someone has said what I being feeling all alone. #Priceless #BestTweets
Univision fired Emmy-award winning Spanish-language television personality Rodner Figueroa after he said that First Lady Michelle Obama looked as if she were a member of the cast of the Hollywood film Planet of the Apes.
Figueroa, who’s known for being outspoken, made his remarks Wednesday during a live segment of the show El Gordo y la Flacain which the hosts were commenting on a viral video that shows a makeup artist transforming himself into different celebrities, including Michelle Obama.
“Well, watch out, you know that Michelle Obama looks like she’s from the cast of Planet of the Apes, the movie,” Figueroa, 42, said with a giggle.
When hostess Lili Estefan countered with “What are you saying?” and host Raul de Molina said Obama was very attractive, Figueroa defended his remark, saying “but it is true.”
In a statement Thursday morning, Univision called Figueroa’s comments “completely reprehensible.”
“Yesterday during our entertainment program El Gordo y La Flaca Rodner Figueroa made comments regarding First Lady Michelle Obama that were completely reprehensible and in no way reflect Univision’s values or views,” the statement said. “As a result, Mr. Figueroa was immediately terminated.”
Figueroa began at Univision as a producer for El Gordo y la Flaca and went on to join Estefan and co-host Raul de Molina. He also filled in when de Molina was on vacation. The show is popular with its Spanish-language audience and has been on the air for more than 16 years.
He also hosted the Sunday night show Sal y Pimienta, along with Lourdes Stephen, and had been involved in special programs, including Nuestra Belleza Latina.
Figueroa did not issue any direct comments about his firing. His bio already has been removed from its talent page.
Figueroa, who lives on Fisher Island in Miami, is an Emmy-award winning Spanish-language television personality. He’s also active in charities, attracting many Latino stars to different charitable causes. In October, he held a party for the founding of I Love Venezuela, “an organization that provides care and resources to multiple social projects for Venezuelans,” said a statement from the agency LatinWE at that time.
Univision is the largest Spanish-language network in the United States, reaching an estimated 94 million U.S. homes. Among all television networks, Univision ranks fifth in the United States.
What are your thoughts on the firing of Figueroa? Share with us in the comments below.
The Atlanta Journal Constitutionreports that the dispute started when Angie Stone, 53, entered her daughter’s room, and demanded that she clean it up and control her children, who were running around the singer’s home half naked.
“Ms. Diamond Stone then went on to state that Ms. Angie Stone started (getting) in her face, telling her she needed to leave because she is tired (of) her,” police said in the report. “Ms. Diamond Stone then stated her and Ms. Angie Stone started to argue, and that’s when a physical altercation started to occur.”
Angie Stone, 53, told police she did not know she hit her daughter with a metal stand.
Diamond Stone’s version of the story is different. According to the report, she walked away after Angie Stone struck her in the face with the metal stand and called police. Both women were taken to DeKalb County Police Department headquarters for questioning.
New disturbing video has surfaced that may impact the murder case against media mogul Suge Knight.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Newly released video graphically depicts former rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight running over two men with his pickup truck but leaves questions about an attack that he says forced him to speed away from the deadly crash.
Surveillance footage from a Compton fast food restaurant shows one of the men getting knocked down as the pickup reverses. The truck then speeds forward, running over the fallen man and a second man.
Attorney Mathew Fletcher, left, talks with his client Marion "Suge" Knight upon his arrival in court for a hearing about evidence in his murder case on Monday, March 9, 2015, in Los Angeles, Calif. Knight is accused of striking two men with his pickup truck, killing one, during an altercation in a Compton parking lot in January.(AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian, Pool)
An attorney for the Death Row Records co-founder says the video posted by celebrity news website TMZ shows that the men attacked his client before the January encounter and that it will help his defense against murder and attempted murder charges.
“They attacked ‘Suge’ without question,” lawyer Matthew Fletcher told reporters after a Monday court hearing.
The video is in possession of sheriff’s detectives and is being used in the investigation, Los Angeles sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said. The agency did not release the footage.
Gary Dordick, an attorney for the family of the slain man, Terry Carter, said the video shows “a senseless act of violence.” He said Carter, 55, was not involved in attacking Knight through the window of his truck and that the music figure should have driven off instead of using his truck as a weapon.
The video shows a red pickup pulling into the restaurant parking lot and a man approaching the driver’s side window. There is commotion in the cabin of Knight’s truck, but no clear footage of the purported attack.
“I told ‘Suge’: ‘This helps you beyond any stretch of the imagination,’” Fletcher said, adding that the law doesn’t require someone to flee an attack.
The confrontation occurred shortly after Knight was told to leave a location where a promotional video was being shot for “Straight Outta Compton,” a biopic about the rap group N.W.A. Authorities said the argument resumed at the parking lot.
Fletcher downplayed the argument at the video shoot, saying Knight complied when he was asked to leave the set.
Authorities accuse Knight of intentionally running over the men, killing Carter and seriously injuring Cle “Bone” Sloan. He has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges and could face up to life in prison if convicted of killing Carter on Jan. 29.
“The video makes clear that Mr. Carter’s tragic death was caused by unnecessary acts of violence initiated by Cle Sloan attacking Mr. Knight and Mr. Knight choosing to retaliate using his motor vehicle as a deadly weapon rather than simply driving off to a place of safety,” Dordick wrote in an email.
Carter was a friend of Knight, and authorities have said they do not believe he was involved in the attack. Sloan is an actor and film consultant.
Knight was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, and his label once listed Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.
Knight, 49, did not speak at Monday’s brief hearing, which came a week after he was taken to a hospital from a previous court appearance, where he told a judge he was going blind and had fired his legal team.
In the final moments before entering federal prison, faced with the prospect of serving 15 months, Real Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice handled the situation as best she could.
Her last words to her attorney, James J. Leonard Jr., when he delivered the 42-year-old mother of four to the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut, at 3 a.m. Monday, were, “I’ll be fine,” Leonard tells PEOPLE.
“She said, ‘Tell Joe and the girls I’m good,’ ” he says.
Shortly after midnight, Leonard picked up Giudice at her $3.9 million mansion in Montville Township, New Jersey.
“She was upstairs when I got to the house,” he tells PEOPLE. “I’m assuming she was with her children. I tend not to ask people about things that are outside of my area.”
Teresa’s husband, Joe Giudice, 44, “was somber,” Leonard says. “The enormity of this entire situation hit him.”
Teresa Giudice - Image credit: Getty
After saying goodbye to Joe and her four daughters – Gia, 13, Gabriela, 10, Milania, 8, and Audriana, 5, – the reality star climbed into the back seat of Leonard’s black SUV and headed to the minimum security prison for women to serve her time after her March conviction for fraud.
Leonard says that during the 90-minute drive he tried to keep the conversation from getting heavy.
“If I have to drive with someone for one-and-a-half to two hours who is on their way to prison, I’m not trying to get them emotional,” he says. “I try to keep it light with jokes and talk about things that are light. So it was light from the time I saw her until the time I left her. She was great. She was very strong. She said, ‘I know I am going to get through this.’ She was very, very upbeat. She was like, ‘Hey. Let’s go. Let’s get this done.’ “
Avoiding the Media Circus
Giudice was supposed to appear at the prison by 10 a.m. on Monday. But, says Leonard, on New Year’s Eve, Giudice asked him if she could turn herself in before that. Officials agreed to let her surrender at 3 a.m. and let her use an alternate route in order to avoid the likely media attention outside the prison main entrance, he says.
“The reason she wanted to go early was because she didn’t want to have her children wake up on Monday morning and see a big [media] circus outside of the house,” he says.
Because they had time to spare before her arrival, she stopped off at a local diner just before 2 a.m. “She had a breakfast sandwich and some coffee,” Leonard says. “She was joking that she shouldn’t be eating at this hour. I said, ‘You could make an exception.’ So she ate.”
When she arrived at the facility, Giudice spent between 10 and 15 minutes in the pre-processing area, where officials introduced themselves to her.
“They talked about starting her commissary account. They told her she would be able to make her first phone call within 24 hours once they had her account set up. They said they were going to make it possible for her to meet with her immediate family this weekend. So she was very happy with that. There weren’t going to be any delays with that stuff,” says Leonard.
“Everybody was extremely respectful and courteous. It was very easy to ease her way into this because everything was positive. There was a lot of positive energy there.”
Leonard presented her with a set of rosary beads and a necklace with two medals – one for St. Christopher and one for St. Teresa.
“They let her keep all of that,” he says. “She was very happy with that, and she told me she would keep them with her all the time.”
‘Stoic and Strong’
When it was time to say goodbye, he says he hugged her and told her, “You’re going to be fine.”
“She said, ‘Yeah. I’ll be fine,’ ” he says. “She was very stoic and very strong. I left them there. They didn’t handcuff her. She was just standing there.”
Leonard had no sooner left the building when he returned to use the restroom.
“As I was walking back, they were walking her out of the first building to another building,” he says. “She saw me and said, ‘What are you doing?’ I said, ‘I’m breaking you out of here.’ She laughed and said, ‘I wish.’ “
He continued: “The last thing she said to me was, ‘I’ll be fine. Tell Joe and the girls I’m good.’ ”
He isn’t sure if the children will come visit her this weekend. “But they will 100 percent come see her,” he says. “I think she wants to see them whenever she can.
“Her kids aren’t just the No. 1 [priority] in her life. They are the only one,” he says. “The entire time I have been involved with her, the only thing she has talked about in connection with this prison sentence is how it is going to affect them – not her.”
Giudice reportedly spent her final day of freedom attending Mass at a New Jersey church with her husband and four daughters. Her husband drove the girls to school early Monday morning.
He also pleaded guilty last year to multiple counts of bankruptcy fraud and conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. When his wife is finished serving her sentence, he will serve 41 months in prison. He also may face deportation after his release because he is not a U.S. citizen.
Dustin Diamond, the actor who played “Screech” on the TV sitcom Saved by the Bell, was arrested Friday in Wisconsin on a weapons charge, according to the Ozaukee County Sheriff’s Department. Diamond was arrested after an altercation with a switchblade at a bar in his hometown of Port Washington, Wisconsin.
'Saved By The Bell' Star 'Screech' arrested in Stabbing -- Image credit: Ozaukee County sheriff's Office/EOTM Media
Bill Cosby is not actually asking for neutrality. He’s asking for apathy and willful ignorance…
We knew it wouldn’t take long to get ole Bill Cosby to start talking, again. The comedian broke his silence Friday in a phone interview to Page Sixand cautioned black media to “remain neutral.”
“Let me say this. I only expect the black media to uphold the standards of excellence in journalism and when you do that you have to go in with a neutral mind,” Cosby added.
Wow, really Bill Cosby? What a bully!! I feel specifically asking Black media to stay neutral is a way of guilting Black people into having his back. It reinforces the popular conspiracy theory that these allegations are the product of “White” forces conspiring against him. And, not having his back in this circumstance is effectively selling out. Smdh… but I digress.
When asked how his wife, Dr. Camille Cosby of 50 years was dealing with the allegations against him Cosby said, “Love and the strength of womanhood. Let me say it again, love and the strength of womanhood. And you could reverse it, the strength of womanhood and love.”
He refused to specifically discuss the claims against him noting, ”They don’t want me talking to the media.”
Cosby’s comments comes two months after comedian Hannibal Burress sparked the flame that would ultimately engulf the actor and jeopardize his already tarnished image and whats left of his legacy when he belted these three words on stage, “YOU RAPED WOMEN.”
In an interview with the Associated Press shortly after Burress’s comments went mainstream, Cosby seemingly pressures an AP reporter to “scuttle” the video in which Cosby is asked about the sexual assault allegations and refuses to address the situation, calling into question the AP’s integrity.
What ensued was a bombardment of sexual assault claims from dozens of women, most recently super model, entrepreneur, Beverly Johnson. Johnson penned an article forVanity Fair last week detailing an alleged assault by Cosby. You can read an excerpt here.
A couple of hours ago, it appears Camille has finally spoken. According to TMZ, Mr. Cosby’s wife defended her husband over various sexual assault allegations, saying, “He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend. He is the man you thought you knew.”
Camille didn’t attack her husband’s accusers, but said the media has been way to quick to pass judgment, saying, “A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know.”
Camille warns, “We all followed the story of the article in the “Rolling Stone” concerning allegations of rape at the University of Virginia. The story was heart-breaking but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue.” She adds, “Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband.”
In addition to numerous allegations, the star is being sued by a woman alleging he assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 1975 after bringing her there when she was 15.
Follow this author on Twitter for Breaking News in Entertainment, Sports, Politics & World News
EOTM TV – The source for breaking news, pop culture, indie films, music videos, celebrity interviews, talk interactive radio and so much more. EOTM is here with all your new media, radio, entertainment, public relations, marketing and event solutions. Our goal is to partner with you to create, facilitate and grow.